- Freakazoid! - Donut Feed the Animals! - Okay, this is hysterical.
Mrs. Douglas: Dexter, hun, could you run to the donut shop and pick up a few things for me?
Dexter: Mom, Iím busy.
Mrs. Douglas: Oh, itís not good to stay in this room all day long, doncha know. You could get cancer.
Dexter: Mom, Iím not gonna get cancer.
Mrs. Douglas: Or heart disease.
Dexter: Mom, Iím already on my computer 18 hours a day and I havenít gotten heart disease yet.
Mrs. Douglas: Thatís because itís a slow, painful death spanning several decades.
Dexter: All right, Iíll go, Iíll go.
Hee! The rest of the fic is really good, too! It's weird, whacky, zany, loopy, looney, crazy fun, just like the series. And any other 'kooky' adjectives that you can think of.
See! I told you I'd find a good Freakazoid! fanfic!
- He-Man - Identity by Mandolin - Okay, wait, wait, wait! Before you roll your eyes at me or skip away from this entry, let me just say that I didn't expect to be rec'ing this either. Hell, I don't even know what made me click on the story in the first place, or what posessed me to wander into the He-Man section in the first place. Morbid curiosity, I suppose. Then I started reading and... damn, this story was actually good. It covers the issue I'm really even remotely interested in with He-Man--the duality between He-Man and Adam and where is that line drawn? I absolutely adore Mandolin's take on the situation and Adam's thoughts/feelings about becoming He-Man and what that does to him. My worldview is all askew now. Good, thoughtful, intriguing He-Man fic. The world is not the place I knew it to be. I'm frightened. (No warnings.)
- He-Man - Mind Games by Mandolin - GAH! If she doesn't quit this writing good He-Man fic thing soon, my worldview is never going to be the same. This one is longer and deals with the possibility of Teela finding out that Adam is He-Man, and how it's not exactly a pleasant reaction. I absolutely loved this story because it stays very true to the He-Man (2002) characters (it continues to surprise me how she gets the feel of the series down so damn well in the writing) and explores all the issues that such a revelation would bring up: Teela's feelings of betrayal that her best friend never tolder, that her father knew, too, that they just let her half-crush on He-Man continue, and just being unable to get one's mind around the idea at first. Another one that I really, really liked.
Also, this fic is one of those that resulted in a serious discussion between Amanda and myself, about the nature of He-Man and why Adam of all people was chosen. I love that we're nerdy enough to actually think about stuff like that, and I love that this fic got us thinking. (No warnings.)
- Invader ZIM - Wind Facing Lightning by Tiamat's Child - I don't read much ZIM fic because I would be incredibly fussy about--I don't want to read something that's too silly, but neither do I want to read something that's overly dark and pretentious, because a part of the show is still a silly cartoon. This... was a really, really nice balance between the two, wrapped up in a characterization I can believe and it was about Gaz! I love Gaz. I really do. And I adored this fic because I could just see her doing this and her thoughts running this way, and just... everything was just right for this fic and I can't express it any better than that. >_> (No pairings/warnings.)
- Jem and the Holograms - Into The Mirror by Voleuse - My initial reaction to this story? And I quote: "....Jesus Christ. Decent Jem and the Holograms fic that makes me hate Rio a little less. WTF!" Which is pretty much the summation of whatever I could say about this story--other than the usual, mind. Good writing, good details, solid characterization, really does a good job of writing a readable, believable story. *mutters* Can't believe she made me almost like Rio, for god's sake. I always hated that jerk who could never effing decide between Jem and Jerrica and, ARGH, CAN'T BELIEVE SOMEONE WROTE A PLAUSIBLE EXPLANATION FOR RIO. *stomps off* (Jem/Rio/Jerrica.)
- The Incredibles - The Interview by Moonsheen - You know, the movie was such a complete thing that I really don't feel a terrible drive for fanfic, especially with the main family, but there's something about a background piece for Mirage like this... that's somehow so incredibly perfect, that it strides that brilliant line between too complex for the kids and too simple for the adults, that gorgeous space in the middle where the movie and this fic reside. Because, for all the point the fic makes, there's such an intense presence to this fic that's fabulous. I could totally and easily believe this as background for the character. (No warnings/pairings.)
- The Incredibles - Therapy by rosehiptea - I'm not sure what made me stop on this fic, especially since I'm not as familiar with the extras as I would like, but the opening few lines caught me and I found that I didn't want to stop reading. Even if you're not really extensively versed in the movie's extras, I'd still suggest giving this one a shot, the narration has this fabulous flow to it and the lines just sparkle. She makes the character interesting, even when I knew nothing about him, the details worked beautifully into the story in the background so that you got a sense of the world and you could feel the personality coming off the character without having to be told about them and it just... it's feels so much like the movie itself. Really good fic. (No warnings/pairings.)
- Xiaolin Showdown - Friends and Enemies by Scribbler - One of the things I like about the show (aside from the sheer WTF of the series and the cuteness of it) is that I have surprisingly strong emotional reactions for such a young show. Oh, I might not be bawling buckets or anything, but I care about the characters more than I would have thought. That's one of the reasons this fic--the only fic I've found that I can read more than a couple of lines of, much less one that's written really, really well--hit me so hard, because it shows why these kids are so likeable, the way their friendships with each other are genuine. It hints at some of the hard things Omi in particular has to work through after "Time After Time", the way the things he saw hurt and won't leave his head until he deals with them and finds a way to accept them. My fangirl heart ached for the kid in this fic, it wasn't truly about black & white good vs evil, we can see hints of that every time Chase Young shows up. It's not simple. It's not always easy. This fic doesn't make things too dark, but it shows why it can be hard sometimes and was lovely for that. (No warnings/pairings.)
- Jem and the Holograms - Wednesday's Street by voleuse - Sometimes, when you take a cartoon series from the '80s and try to write fic about it (that's not blatant sillyfic or what have you), there's this weird quality to it, a disconnect between original content and the tone of the fic. But this? Somehow hits that right tone for me, the light-hearted quality of the series mixed with the small part of me that took the characters seriously. It's about rivalling bands, friendship despite that, and music. A simple scene of Kimber and Stormer's friendship that makes me want to rewatch all of the scenes they ever had together and then try to read every fic ever written. Yes. (No warnings/pairings.)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas - Skeleton in the Long Black Coat by Mollyscribbles - I was browsing FFNET and checking out favorites pages and happened to stumble over this one. I admit, I clicked on the link because omg Jack and Sally with a kid eeeee! But it was actually a really charming little story that fit so well with the universe--the Halloween theme, the adorable idea that their kid would feel the need to prove himself because of living in the shadow of his famous father and his parents' famous romance. All of it was pulled off with just the right sense of fun that I loved it. (Implications of canon, but it's not the point.)
- Cardcaptor Sakura/Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends - A Bit of Advice by Laurus Nobilis - You know, it might have been weird to see a series like CCS crossed over with something like Foster's... but the way this is written, it seems so natural a thing for them to cross dimensions. I love so many little details here, I love Frankie's reactions to having tea with her grandmother, Clow, and the Guardians. But mostly I love that Madame Foster and Clow would be fantastic tea partners, I love the way Madame Foster slips seamlessly into the world here. (No warnings/pairings.)
- One Piece/Tiny Toon Adventures - Pets by Icka! M. Chif - There are just some crossovers that you are so completely not expecting that you have to click on the link, especially when done by an author you like. And this. This. This is beautiful. I was laughing the entire way through because the One Piece characters with Elmyra would go exactly like this and the ending was absolutely, utterly pitch perfect. Both for Luffy and from everyone else. Just. Brilliant. \o/ (No warnings/pairings.)
- He-Man Universe - Hope Grows (Greener Than Grass Stains) by sheepfairy - Of all the things to be reading from last year's Yuletide, I never expected to be clicking on the He-Man Universe stories, much less a potentially femslash one. But I had a great love of watching the reruns when I was a kid and the summary sounded intriguing, so I went ahead to click on it. I'm very glad I did because this is a fic set not that long after Adora joins the Rebellion and it's got a lovely, softness covering steel tone to it that fits the character so well. The way she watches Glimmer and wonders at someone who can be so cheerful and strong even in the middle of a war as they are, the way she still has lingering effects from her time with the Horde, all of it is a really lovely, lovely story. (Potential Adora/Glimmer, but it could also be gen.)
- He-Man Universe - The Distant Silence by Leyenn - I am not precisely sure what to think of this fic, as it's unhappier and more hopeless than I would usually go for with this series and these characters. And yet I cannot resist the temptation of darker fic for this series, especially one as well-written as this one was, the way things aren't quite right for Adam after the war with Skeletor finally ends. I think the worst thing is the way his marriage to Teela is awkward and uncomfortable, I always kind of quietly shipped those two even before I knew what shipping was. But, again, I can't fault the writer for that, the fic is beautifully written and, as much as it's bitter and unhappy, it also feels like it does justice to the series and the characters. (Some pairings, but it's not really the point.)
- The Simpsons - Green-Eyed Homer by Person - So. The reason I decided to read this fic is a touch convoluted--bell had done some recs for The Simpsons fics from the 2007 Yuletide, but the authors hadn't been revealed yet (which I don't read because it would be too much of a pain to go back and edit all my recs) despite that I was really quite intrigued. So, instead, I was browsing through the 2006 Yuletide fics I hadn't yet read and saw there was a couple there and picked one at random to read. And what I got was really sort of brilliant. I was also talking with bell about how the show didn't really get much fic, for various reasons, and it was hard to imagine how a series like it would translate to fanfic form, but... somehow this fic did it and did so brilliantly. Homer's perspective in this is fantastic, it is both hilariously funny and emotionally moving, he is very obviously not bright and a cartoon character, but there's a real person there. And Lisa just shines in this fic, her enthusiasm for all her pursuits and her intelligence, and the connection she has with Patty's new girlfriend and Homer's jealousy over it and his relationship with his daughter, all of it amazingly done. Even when the author lightly touched the fourth wall (as the show is often wont to do itself), it was fantastic. This was just brilliant all the way around. I-- I could really go for more The Simpsons fic if it were like this. (No real pairings/warnings.)
Animaniacs: Rodent Requiem by furloughday - Oh, man. Pinky and the Brain fic. I did not expect to see such a thing this Yuletide! And yet I had to click, of course. It had a really delightful, charming way of capturing the spirit of the original cartoon, right down to the way I could hear that damn theme song in my head the ENTIRE TIME I was reading the fic. I was really charmed by the way the author blended the humor and slight eerie factor of the original, the way it was really easy to see this happening, and the author just nailed both Pinky and Brain here. I... I could totally read more fic in this vein. (No warnings/pairings.)
Archie: Long and Lustrous Winter by livii - So, the summary for this fic? This time, Betty thinks, as she fixes her ponytail with a slightly manic sense of determination, she's going to try being a lesbian. In which Betty Cooper learns a few life lessons. And again. And again. And again. HELL HES I WAS GOING TO READ THAT. I admit ahead of time that I'd been hoping for a more definitive ending (especially if it were Betty/Veronica), rather than the more middle of the road ending the author went with, but it's just such a charming, delightful fic that I loved it dearly anyway. It's such a great look at Betty Cooper stuck in a time loop (a cliche I knew I always liked, but didn't know I liked THIS much!) and how she tries to change a little bit, tries to get more comfortable with herself, and how she learns a little about the people around her. I especially adored her friendship (and more) with Veronica, but Betty's reactions to Archie were just as interesting as well. The little ways she fought the time loop and the use of clothes and her growing frustration with it, all of that was delightfully done. (Archie/Betty, Archie/Veronica, Betty/Veronica, Archie/Reggie.)
Archie: Maybe someone's writing chapters for us while we sleep by eglow23 (portland_rain) - I have this thing about Reggie/Betty. If I were to have an OTP (that's not Betty/Veronica, because I waffle sometimes), it would be these two. I can't say where it started or why I latched onto the idea, but somehow I loved it deeply and truly. So, Yuletide 2009 fic for them? Yes plz. It did start out a little rough, but the author smooths it out about a third of the way in and it's just all kinds of fabulous from there. It's about Betty and Reggie after Riverdale, the two of them growing up and becoming adults and not necessarily falling right into love, but becoming important to each other and somehow it just happens along the way. I have a strong weakness for this kind of fic (two characters move on from high school and end up as roommates, grow into adults, and somehow their new selves work together) when it's done well and I love this author's take on the characters--Betty grows a spine, Reggie becomes something like a real person, and they have a bucketload of chemistry. I was grinning so hard by the end and, hell, it's difficult not to fall for a Reggie who is such a girl about his feelings sometimes, it's kind of fabulous. ♥ I may not even need any more fic from this (pairing) after this! That's how satisfying this piece was for me. (That is a lie. I will always want more.) (Reggie/Betty.)
Archie: If Through My Cracked and Dusty Dime Store Lips by present_pathos - Okay, so not technically a Yuletide 2009 fic, but still a Yuletide fic and that's close enough, because I was still really in the mood for more Archie fic and was link hopping around and found this one. Betty and Veronica this time! And I realize it probably borders almost on cliche, how often I'm drawn to fics that take the characters beyond their high school years and give them rougher edges, make them sharper and a bit more gritty, but that's kind of what you do with a series like this. And I do like the way it's not easy for either of them, the way their lives take them apart from each other, the way there's a lot of anger between them at the way things unfold, even if it's a little heartbreaking to think of them turning out this way. But it has a satisfying, happy ending that I felt like they'd actually worked for and it was pretty touching, what more could I ask for? (Betty/Veronica.)
Archie: That Old Familiar Fable? Not Quite. by Mollyscribbles - Another fic from a previous Yuletide, but... I needed it! Cute and fluffy Betty/Veronica! It's an adorable piece where they both decide to back off Archie because they're tired of him running between the two of them and find that, without the scramble for his attention, they have a lot more time for other things. Like schoolwork and their friendship and other things. It's fluffy, but that's what I was looking for--something that felt like the comics and yet took the characters where I wanted them, right to each other. Adorable and happy-making. ♥ (Betty/Veronica.)
Coraline: Further Adventures of Coraline (and Wybie, Too) by toasty_fresh - You know how sometimes you'll read one of those delightful fics that make you do one of those embarrassing little "eeeee" noises when you're done? *sigh* Yeah. In my defense, this fic beautifully captures the feel of the movie, the slightly creepy atmosphere and yet whimsy that permeates everything. Coraline and Wybie are both still clearly children here, if thoughtful and intelligent children, and the author does a lovely job of another adventure for the two of them--people are disappearing from picture frames, so there's no time to just sit around, even if one of you is sick. It's a wonderful piece all the way around and a perfect little coda to the film. (No warnings/pairings.)
Coraline: The Wisdom to Know the Difference by Alchemine - This is another story that's beautifully written and captures the feel of the movie so very well. That mix of creepy and whimsical that made it so charming in the first place, along with a really lovely look at Coraline. How she might have been a little bit changed by all that she went through and how she'd feel about that, how Wybie would be so oblivious to it in so many ways, and what it would mean. It's really easy to see this fic fitting together with the movie as another perfect little coda to it, because it really just... felt right. I adored this one a lot, too. (Implied future Wybie/Coraline, but it's not really the point.)
Invader ZIM: A Small Story by Basingstoke - I've been rewatching ZIM again recently and it's given me the most horrible cravings for fic. Despite that I should know better. But, hey! Yuletide! I can probably find something of interest there! And this was the first fic I stumbled over and it was cute and entirely easy to see happening in the show--Zim discovers coffee and how it stunts people's growth and thus decides to report his findings to the Tallest. And it's just. The author does a great job of getting Zim's over the top dramatics down in the narrative voice for this piece, along with the Tallest's voices and just. I smiled my entire way through this one. (No warnings/pairings. Maybe a little Tallest/Tallest.)
Invader ZIM: Irken Flu by Iruka Sensei871 - Okay, see, I have this thing. As much as I love the show exactly the way it is, I also love the idea of playing around with the universe. I was originally looking for AU fic with a darker take, maybe something scary where Zim might actually be, you know, compentent, but wound up stumbling over this one. And it's rough in the beginning, but chapters two and three are really kind of rocking--it starts simple, with Dib being infected with the Irken flu by Zim as an experiment, and a load of secrets comes tumbling out from there. And then it just... runs with making up backstory for the Membrane family and the Irken society and involves the Membrane kids being half alien and the Professor converts himself into an Irken and, of course, he's soooo talllllll, and just. a;ldkfja;lskjaslkj I ate it up like you wouldn't believe. I love it! I love big, crazy AU stories that take on entire societial structures like this (though, the nice thing is that it's only about 16,000 words, so it just zips right along) and just have fun. Plus omg. Man, Gir gets some great moments and Gaz is awesome as a half-Irken Invader and I love the Membrane family bonding and omg Zim working with the Membrane family and then deciding that Gaz is the greatest thing ever and it's just. This fic was clearly written for meeeee. (This is mostly gen, but there's a little background Zim/Gaz.)
Calvin & Hobbes/Lilo & Stitch: What I Did On My Summer Vacation by amazingly_me - I try not to get too attached to crossover interactions, because it's not like there's going to be a ton of them or they'll ever happen on any sort of screen besides in fanfic, but. Sometimes they're just so amazing and perfect and wonderful that I can't help but be wistful. Lilo and Stitch running into Calvin and Hobbes, the perfection of these strongly defined kids playing together, including their weird animal friends, is just as delightful as the premise promised. It's just. Sheer fun and happiness and delight, it totally gives you that same bouncy feeling as when you're watching one of the movies. ♥ (No real warnings/pairings.)