- Gravitation Fiction by X-parrot - (re: "The Price of Fame" and "Tempus Fugit" especially.) Ahhh, two of my very favorite Gravitation fics--the story captures Yuki and Shuuichi so wonderfully, doing their characters real justice. With a series like Gravitation, it seems like the characters would be easy to write, given that it's a very... fluffy series. But there's a delicate balance to be struck with both Yuki and Shuuichi. Yuki is cold and arrogant and bordering on cruel, but he's not really abusive, and he does love Shuuichi, and Shuuichi probably knows that. He's also not so cruel as to drive Shuuichi away with his bastard-ways--despite being willing to put up with a lot, Shuuichi has to have a breaking point. Also, Shuuichi is hyper, yes, and not the sharpest pencil in the box and he is rather girly and he cries a lot, but he's not actually a girl. Really. And he has moments of seriousness and insight.
It can be difficult to get these characters just right, to show why they stay together and are so /good/ for each other, despite their faults. And X-parrot's writing captures that. The writing is excellent, and just the right amount of humor in with the drama. Definitely ones any Gravitation fan should read.
Also, while I've always been a mild fan of Tatsuha and Ryuuichi (I just adore Tatsuha!), it was X-parrot's two Tatsuha/Ryuuichi stories that really pulled me over the edge. They were so.... Ryuuichi made sense... why he is the way he is, why people react to him the way they do, and showing his thoughts in such a way that his two different personas make sense. They did, of course, leaving me going, "No! You can't end it like that! Get your ass back here and write /another/ sequel and /fix it/ this time!" even though they had to be written the way they were. (Don't worry, you're not going to need any hankies for these stories.) (YukixShuuichi and TatsuhaxRyuuichi.)
- Gravitation - Honey Bunny by Anahita - Awwww! *grinning like an idiot* That was so adorable and funny and sexy and sweet and good. Ryuuichi is adorable, Shuuichi is sweet, YukixShuuichi is perfect, and the writing is great, and the jokes are funny. Um, yeah, I'm out of positive, but inane, things to say. Go read the story and make up your own. Also, read all of Anahita's fics, they're all just as wonderfully good and brillianty written as the last one. (YukixShuuichi, RyuuichixTatsuha.)
- Gravitation - Third Party by Avarice - Ahhh, I love Tatsuha/Ryuuichi stories. So much fun. ^_____^ Avarice writes quite well, capturing the characters nicely, but the thing I liked most was the ability she had to capture that sense that Kumagorou was almost alive. We all know Ryuuichi is behind the bunny, but you never quite see him, so there's this little part of you that wonders and this fic captured that perfectly. (TatsuhaxRyuuichi.)
- Gravitation - Tadaima and Okaeri by Ladymage Samiko - Oh, my God, I am such a goober, but the last few lines of Okaeri made me do that dorky, happy squeaky thing. I had a little trouble with Yuki's thoughts in Tadaima, they weren't really all that Yuki-ish, even for that point in his life, but the prose around them was lovely and very in character. Okaeri was perfect--all those little touches of Shuuichi's things all neatly in their place... it was perfect. Subtle and not sledgehammer obvious, but not vague, either, and just... right. And the pillow! Exactly what the end of the series really needed. ^______^ (YukixShuuichi.)
- Graviation - Angel Sleep by Nekozuki - Awww, this was cute. It's not the most original concept (Shuuichi almost dying, being in a coma, being an 'angel' for awhile, trying to get back to Yuki), but that doesn't matter, the execution does, and this one was just... adorable. I can't find it in me to hate the OFC, she was just what you'd expect of a newbie angel in the situation, and Shuuichi wanting to get back to Yuki, no matter the cost, was just right, and the scene with Yuki watching over comatose Shuuichi... awww! I need chapter four right now, thanks. (YukixShuuichi.)
- Gravitation - Koneko by Anahita - The concept of this fic doesn't sound like it'd be something I normally go for... homeless Pet!Shuuichi (as in the kind that has a master) runs into Yuki Eiri and Yuki takes him in? I expected it to be very uncomfortable, but I'll give Anahita credit... it's only uncomfortable where it's supposed to be uncomfortable. She puts her usual talent into the writing, making me squeak happily whenever a new chapter is posted, and despite my reservations, I've found myself highly intrigued by this fic. (YukixShuuichi.)
- Gravitation - The CD of a Lifetime by Nivella - I liked this characterization of Tatsuha, the melodramatics and little bit of over the top-ness were fitting with a sixteen year old's behavior on a bad day, I thought. And I absolutely adored cranky Yuki who was actually being kind of brotherly, and seeing that filtered through Tatsuha's eyes. So... yeah. Loved the characterizations. Loved the idea, adored the writing, burble, burble, burble. (Okay, I admit, I have a soft spot for those Uesugi brothers interacting, since it doesn't happen nearly often enough in fic, and this fic was the kind of story I've been bitching for.) (Little bit YukixShuuichi and Tatsuha+Ryuuichi.)
- Gravitation - The Bible of Kumagoro: Getting Closer to Your God by Psycho gurl - Goodness, this is a fun story. I admit, I pay more attention to the Yuki/Shuuichi parts of the story, but everything is well-written and cute and adorable and fun and nicely in character and a nice length. This is one of those stories that keeps me sane in the Gravi fandom, thank god. Urgh, crappy review for one of the better Gravi fics I've read recently. (YukixShuuichi, TatsuhaxRyuuichi.)
- Gravitation - SOS by Anomay - So cute! XD I absolutely adore Tatsuha and there really aren't enough stories out there that have him interacting with his brother. Don't get me wrong, I love TatsuhaxRyuuichi, but I like Uesugi family interaction a lot, too. (I also adore the idea of Mika and Eiri interacting more as well as Mika and Tatsuha interacting more), and while this fic had TatsuhaxRyuuichi elements, it had enough Uesugi brothers in it to help satisfy that craving. Beyond that, it was such a cute story, the characters wonderful to read, the humor spot on, the thing with the strawberry shortcakes a perfect plot developer, and the Yuki/Shuuichi stuff made me do this face XD again. ^_^;; Okay, a few things were a little over the top, but, honestly, they didn't detract from my enjoyment, and that's all that really matters. ^_~ (YukixShuuichi, TatsuhaxRyuuichi.)
- Gravitation - Wingardium Leviosa by Talya Firedancer - One of the reasons I'm very glad to see that Talya Firedancer has written Gravitation fanfic is that she's one of the few authors who really captures the anime feel of a series. A lot of writers do gorgeous things with the characters, nail their characterizations perfectly, and write beautiful passages, but few really capture the whole defying-the-laws-of-gravity anime feel in their stories. With Gravitation it's especially nice, since it fully utilizes the anime-ness in the series. Plus, Talya writes a wonderful Yuki and Shuuichi. ^_^v (YukixShuuichi, and some TatsuhaxRyuuichi.)
- Gravitation - My Suite-Valentine by Talya Firedancer - This story has the same anime feel to it that Talya's previous one did, and really does make it read like an episode of the series, as Talya intended it. Every time I picture Shuuichi's dash back to Yuki's apartment towards the end of the fic, I can just see it in my head, and I absolutely adore the final scene. It's just... good, solid Gravi fic that makes me happy to read. *happy sigh* (YukixShuuichi, some TatsuhaxRyuuichi.)
- Gravitation - On the Outside by Kira - I liked this fic for many reasons--the two of the most important being that I adore Kira's Tatsuha. Not a lot of authors write him the way I like to see him, but Kira's done a fantastic job with his personality--made him a teenager, a popular and rather mature at times one, but still showing his obsession with Sakuma Ryuuichi. I love this Tatsuha. *sparkles* The other thing I absolutely love is the way the characters interact, especially the Uesugi siblings, I absolutely love, love, loved the way Eiri and Tatsuha act around each other and the way Tatsuha loves Mika very much as well. (Pet peeve of mine--I hate it when authors have either of the brothers hating Mika or making her a bitch, because she's not. She loves her brothers, she always lets them know that, and they love her in return... even if certain cranky people wouldn't admit that. ^_~) There's just enough humor in the writing to remind me of the series itself, but an actual serious story in here, too. I loved that Tatsuha sort of edged around asking what happened to Eiri in New York, but left the subject alone when it was clear no one wanted to talk about it. Just... *SPARKLES* I love this fic, I really, really want more of it and to know where it's going. Now, now, now, now, now. .......*ahem* I'll stop fawning now. Really. (YukixShuuichi, some RyuuichixTatsuha.)
- Gravitation - Spin by Hawk Clowd - I'd only read one of the author's fics before, a short little thing that was cute, but I wasn't sure what to expect of something longer. But, the summary read as Tatsuha is staying in Tokyo over his summer break from school and ends up living his dream... Sort of. and I have a THING about Tatsuha staying with Eiri for awhile because Uesugi brothers interaction rarely fails to make me sparkle/be amused, so I said, okay, I'll give this one a shot. And... there is nothing I don't love about this fic. 1) It's funny and all the stuff that was supposed to make me laugh did. There's a moment in chapter four when Shuuichi and Tatsuha are returning from NG Studios that literally forced me to stop reading for a good minute and a half because I had to just laugh. 2) It actually writes the Ryuuichi/Tatsuha relationship in a way that was both interesting and hit the right notes for me, which is rare. Admittedly, I don't read a lot of the pairing because it's not the one that calls to me the strongest, but... X-parrot's fics were the only other ones that I ever really liked for this pairing, ones that deal with the way Ryuuichi uses his personality to keep people away, the way Tatsuha needs to move from fangirl to actual person with Ryuuichi, etc.
3) One of my new favorite conversations between Eiri and Tatsuha, where Eiri was actually sorta-kinda being a big brother. (Plus, the opening of that conversation amuses me so much: "You don't have to tell me, of course. I don't care what you do," Eiri told him, turning dials on the machine until he finally managed to turn it on. "But, as the elder brother, it is supposed to be in my job description." / "Shuichi put you up to this?" / "Yes." / Tatsuha sighed. "Thought so.") It's an awkward as hell conversation, but I think that's part of what I adore about it. 4) The characterization just hit all the right spots for me... not to mention nothing really felt glossed over, none of those little moments that I love so much. (Shuuichi and Tatsuha at the vending machine at work when Tohma comes up behind them, Eiri bitching about Shuuichi's singing all the time, Tatsuha's snarking that Eiri is so whipped, Eiri and Tatsuha's conversation about the godawful coffee, Tatsuha fighting dirty when Eiri sits on him, etc.) And... just... it all fit together in that one, cohesive whole, I guess? Nothing felt random or out of place or put there just for the sake of padding, it all sort of became part of a larger story. I just... I could go on about this fic, but just go read it. It's one of those stories that was so much what I wanted out of Gravi fic that I'm over the moon for it. ♥ (Some Yuki/Shuuichi, some Ryuuichi/Tatsuha.)
- Gravitation - Fleeting Inspiration by Anna Sartin - As always, I'm wary of authors I've never read before, especially when they have long stories and I know how difficult it can to maintain quality writing over a long period of time, but I was pleasantly surprised by this story. It was just... by chapter three or so, I was completely sucked in and didn't stop until I'd torn through all 300k+, not feeling distracted or bored once. There are a lot of things that the author did well--she gets the spastic natures of the characters down, puts them in wild circumstances, but doesn't make chariactures out of them. The writing is solid, the characterization is solid (I'm especially impressed with her Eiri characterization, actually, as she hit just the right balance between the man who loves Shuuichi and the royally screwed up bastard that he still is, all wrapped up in Eiri's cutting and sharp tongue.) and the pacing is fabulous. It's a long story, yet I was never bored, I never felt that the story dragged just to fill up space.
Admittedly, there might have been one or two moments where I wasn't fully onboard, but then along would come a moment that was just sheer brilliance or where I had to put my head down on the bed just to laugh for a little while. (There was a moment in chapter nine, just as they're leaving the drug store, that hit me exactly right and I think I must have laughed for a good three minutes. Just One Of Those Things, I suppose.) And I was really impressed that the author took a concept that could have fallen completely flat on its face (Eiri's favorite author writes a book that's complete crap and then it's just one hellish event after the next, wherein he can't even have five goddamned minutes of normalcy <3) and make it fun and a delight to read about.
As I said, I wasn't bored once during the story, I'm eagerly awaiting more, I loved the takes on the characters, especially Eiri and Shuuichi's relationship, and there were a hundred little moments (Shuuichi knowing Eiri far better than he probably should have, Tatsuha and Eiri's sniping at each other, the utter insanity of some the run-arounds the characters had to go through, the almost-sweetness between Eiri and Shuuichi at times) that just made the story for me. And you know what? I could have wept with joy when the author actually seemed to know the series and got their names right. ;__; <--happy tears (Yuki/Shuuichi, Tatsuha/Ryuuichi.)
- Gravitation - Dizzy by Hawk Clowd - [ part 01 - part 02 ] - I've probably said this many times before, but I tend not to read much fic about Ryuuichi and Tatsuha, partly because they're not my focus with the series, but partly because it's a rare fic that strikes me, whether capturing my interest or making me believe it. This fic (and the fic it's a sequel to, Spin) manages to do both, because I really do like the author's writing style, which is sharp and funny and very well suited to the Gravitation characters, and because she often includes an ensemble cast in the story. These two chapters had me sparkling and about to twirl around the room with delight because Tatsuha and Eiri's interaction was great, they're such brothers, even as the story is moving along. Tatsuha's characterization, the way he thinks, the way he reacts to Eiri and Shuuichi's relationship and their fame, the way he deals with the rest of his family, it's all the kind of fic I crave from this fandom. Even though the Tatsuha/Ryuuichi relationship hasn't started up much yet in the fic so far, I continue to like the take on it, the time they've spent apart, the way Tatsuha feels about the relationship even after that year, the way... oh, hell, I'm too busy being a squeeing fangirl over Eiri and Tatsuha, with Tatsuha deliberately provoking Eiri, but not in a bad way, the way they snark at each other. The conversation in chapter two is priceless. ♥ (Tatsuha/Ryuuichi, Eiri/Shuuichi.)
- Gravitation - Dizzy (chapter 03) by Hawk Clowd - Fics with Tatsuha staying with Eiri and Shuuichi will probably never get old for me. Especially not when there are Eiri/Shuuichi antics in the background, when Tatsuha actually spends time with his brother, when Eiri is a little more whole than he used to be but certainly far from perfect, when Tatsuha is actually interesting to me, because the author writes him well. It's actually interesting to me to watch Tatsuha try to put the mystery of why he can't get in contact with Ryuuichi together, to see the fic only through his eyes and only know what he knows, because you have your suspicions along with him, because I know the fic will be sensical when we find out what's happening later. I also really enjoyed this chapter (perhaps "enjoy" is the wrong word to use, but you know what I mean) because the last couple of scenes in it were really effective, the scenes evoked the right response from me, even when I knew there had to be more going on than what met the eye. Tatsuha's reactions were very believable, they made sense for the character even as I suspect there's far more to the story, and the whole situation was very nicely built up to. And now I want chapter 4. *chews on the furniture* (Tatsuha/Ryuuichi, background Eiri/Shuuichi.)
- Gravitation - Dizzy by Hawk Clowd - [ part 04 - part 05 - part 06 - part 07 ] - What can I say about these chapters that I haven't already said in recs for the previous ones? It's not that the author isn't keeping up the same level of quality, that her Tatsuha isn't still one of the best I've seen in the fandom, that I'm not still quite intrigued by her Ryuuichi, that I don't find Tatsuha's interaction with Eiri and Shuuichi to be some of the most fun just about ever, or that her pacing continues to be really, really good, that each chapter has a focus/point and moves the story ahead at just the right speed. All those things still apply. Oh, but a few things in these chapters that I did really like and take note of--Tohma's characterization is lovely, he's still creepy and ruthless in his own way, but doing what he thinks is best for the people he cares about, even if that means encouraging Tatsuha and Ryuuichi's relationship. ^_~ I thought the not-confrontation scene between Tatsuha and Ryuuichi was very well done, that the author does a really good job of hinting at whatever is going on underneath Ryuuichi's surface without being too cliche or obvious about it. I loved the parallel drawn between the Tatsuha/Ryuuichi and Eiri/Shuuichi relationships, I love that Shuuichi was the one to explode about it, because it was such a beautiful moment of characterization for him as well. And, of course, I love that Eiri continues to be such the beautiful obnoxious older brother around Tatsuha. ♥ (Tatsuha/Ryuuichi, Yuki/Shuuichi.)