- Slayers - Fanfiction by Shoujo Senshi - Totally Kawaii - Shoujo Senshi's absolutely wonderful fics! Wai! I love her writing--she can do just about everything. Humor, drama, fluff, and lemon. Obviously not all are lemon (and those that are, are clearly marked), but the ones that are are among some of my very favorite lemons out there. She's really good with them. And add in that a lot of them are XellosxZelgadiss (or vice versa), and I'm a very happy camper. There aren't that many Xel/Zel writers out there, and to find one that's so good is a real treasure. She also does other series, of course, but this is the Slayers section of this page, ne? *grin*
- Slayers - Practice Makes Perfect - Truth - I wasn't even in a Slayers mood when I randomly selected a Slayers fic to read. But, as I was reading one of my favorite Slayers fic authors, I put myself in the mood a teensy bit, and I decided to give this one a shot, because I remember thinking the first part had been quite well written. Well. After speeding through the fic as fast as my little eyes would go, I was back in full-blown Slayers mood. I... just... words fail me when I try to babble about this story. It pushed all the right buttons for me.
It's a sort of cyberpunk-world fic, so obviously it's an AU, along with being yaoi. The first thing that impressed me (besides the excellent writing) is that the technology behind the fic seems quite well thought-out, and not just, "Oh, hmm, well this works for this scene, so that's what I'll use since I kinda forgot what I laid out last scene...." The characterizations were wonderful, fusing the original Slayers personalities with the way their AU selves have been affected. The other thing that impressed me was that I so totally *bought* Xellos and Zelgadiss' relationship. Don't get me wrong, I'm a *big* believer in the pairing, I honestly believe it could work, it's just that not a lot of authors get it right. (Xellos is tough to understand even as a sadistic bastard, much less with softer emotions!) *This* is one of those fics that reaffirms my belief that these two could be together. And, as a bonus for me, there was some *nice* Lina/Zelgadiss friendship stuff. I love that. The whole thing was overwhelmingly cool, and I'm just pissed that there's not more. (Not that I don't understand taking your time between chapters. Oh, yeah, I know that feeling well. ^_^;;; ) Now one of my favorite Slayers fics. (XellosxZelgadiss)
- Slayers - Because I Was Bored - Shoujo Senshi - Shoujo Senshi is one of my favorite Slayers writers because I can honestly *see* her characters; they mesh with the characters I saw on the screen. Plus, *great* lemons and she actually writes *funny* jokes! I'd been ebbing in the Slayers fandom for awhile, and since I was out of DBZ fics to read, I decided to start in on this one, 'cause I'd never gotten around to it before. I'm seriously digging it, which kinda surprises me because it's AU *and* Xellos is very different (yet, not so different....) from his canon self. But ShoSen makes a younger Xellos *work* here. And I love Zelgadiss being the aggressor in the real world and more confident of himself! It *works* in this story. My only problem? Again with the unfinished-ness of the story. Gah! She left off in a *horrible* place! I *really* wanna know what happens next. (XellosxZelgadiss/ZelgadissxXellos)
- Slayers - Powers of Heart and Soul (series) by Harukami - There is one thing I will always love this fic for--it introduced me to a concept that I hadn't previously thought of and that became very dear to me in the Slayers fandom. Namely, XellosxZelgadiss. *sparkles* This fic is one I read semi-early on in my Slayers stint, and while I may have some problems with the characterization (but, to be fair, Xellos is incredibly difficult to characterize because we only ever see his mask, we never really get to see much beyond it), it's still a very solidly written story, a wonderful read. It was the first to actually give the story a plot (and a nicely complex and intersting one at that), give the story an epic feel, and working the yaoi pairing in around that. I liked it because it wasn't a perfectly smooth ride for them, because there were problems between them, but there was a real attraction there, too. I liked it because the jokes made me laugh, because the writing was good and smoothly readable, because I actually rather liked the original characters, because I liked the way the second-string characters were handled (especially Luna!), because I liked the way the relationships between the characters were handled, and because I adore those Slayers magical quest plots. I liked it because it was really, really long and gave me a chance to sink my teeth into a fic and because it gave me this pairing that took over my brain for the longest time and made me happy. Plus, there were a few scenes that I still smile and giggle a little to think of. (Mostly the ones when Lina-tachi were forced to stay at Xellos' for awhile. XD) (XellosxZeladiss, a little bit Lina+Gourry.)
- Slayers - An Excuse To Cry by Sunfreak - If you had told me ahead of time what the concept of this fic was, I probably would have turned right around, despite that it was a Xellos/Zelgadiss fic. But, because I've enjoyed everything of Sunfreak's that I've read in the past and it was short... well, I can be convinced to try a lot of things if they're in the 1,000-word range. What I loved about this is that it rang true for me in a lot of ways, that Zelgadiss' reactions here felt right. Rather than fangirl-fanfic-y, rather than it being all about the squee, it was a lot quieter and his conversation with Xellos was... painful in some ways, but because that rang true for me in a lot of ways, too. It wasn't schmoopy, but it wasn't horrible, either. ....god, this is a terrible rec. Just go read the fic, it's a really good, sharp, quiet take on a conversation between Xellos and Zelgadiss that I could actually believe. (Slight Xellos/Zelgadiss.)
- Slayers - Footsie by Shiretoko - I think I was reading the Xel/Zel manifesto and there was a link to this fic and I thought, what the hell, I'll give it a shot, since I've been wanting to read more of these two lately. This was a surprisingly good fic, the writing was clean and solid, the characterization was nicely solid, and it was actually sort of fun! But, then, I enjoy Zel-torture, especially when Xellos is being evil and undoing Zel's pants with his foot under the table (that was just sort of genius, because if anyone could do it, it would be Xellos XDDD) and making him try not to give away just exactly what he's doing. I love that it actually sort of works, that it's not about a schmoopy established relationship, it's just Xellos being weird without being totally random about it. It was a good balance and just a fun fic. (Xellos/Zelgadiss, not entirely safe for work.)
Slayers: Focus by rosethorne - I've always liked my Slayers fics with a bit of a darker tone to them, especially when it comes to Xellos and Zelgadiss. I liked the author's take on their established relationship--that it's not particularly nice, but it's also not particularly invested at times, and then when it is... it's even more not nice. It's a short fic, just barely more than 300 words, but it worked nicely for me. (Xellos/Zelgadiss, NC-17.)